Chihuahua Bar knows their tequila. As South Wharf’s resident Mexican Tequilery the popular drink is taken very seriously – housing over 100 varieties of Tequila and Mescal to capture the best of the Agave spirit.
We chatted with venue manager/bartender/taco slinger Owen Howard to learn more about what makes Tequila one of the most popular drinks on the planet.
When did you start working at Chihuahua and where did you work before that?
I started working at Chihuahua at the start of November. Previously I was the head bartender at Wah Wah Lounge and before that I was a chef in pubs around Melbourne.
When did you first become interested in Tequila?
As a 17 year old I used to buy Tequila and bring it to parties, but it was more as a cool thing to show off. Fifteen years in hospitality has exposed me to a lot of different spirits. While working in clubs I was exposed to more high class Tequilas and the differences in flavour intrigued me. So when looking for my next move in bars I looked towards a Tequila bar.
What are your top 5 tequilas and why?
1. Clase Azul Plata: Sweetest tequila I’ve ever tasted so smooth, perfect introduction.
2. Fortaleza Blanco: Smoky for a blanco, with lots of flavour.
3. Cazadores Reposado: Cheaper good Tequila, delicious with jarritos mexican cola.
4. Clase azul Reposado : Had to put this one in. It’s like the plata but on another level of flavour and complexity.
5. Don Julio 1942: One of the best sipped with a cigar like a scotch.